Skip Navigation
Skip to contents

JKSCT : Journal of The Korean Society of Clinical Toxicology

OPEN ACCESS
SEARCH
Search

Articles

Page Path
HOME > J Korean Soc Clin Toxicol > Volume 4(1); 2006 > Article
Severe Liver Toxicity Caused by Amatoxin (Case Series)
Joo-Hyun Suh, Sung-Jin Kim, Young-Kuk Chung, Woong-Gil Choi, Young-Se Kwon, Hyung-Keun Roh
Journal of The Korean Society of Clinical Toxicology 2006;4(1):73-77
DOI: https://doi.org/
Published online: June 30, 2006
  • 73 Views
  • 0 Download
  • 0 Crossref
  • 0 Scopus
1Department of Internal Medicine
2Department of Pediatrics
3Department of Internal Medicine
4Department of Internal Medicine
5Department of Pediatrics
6Department of Internal Medicine

Poisoning with mushroom containing amatoxin may be a real medical emergency and is characterized by long incubation time lag, gastrointestinal symptoms, hepatotoxic phase and sometimes death. We report a family of parents and two children who ingested wild mushroom and recovered from varying degrees of hepatotoxicity. After eating cooked wild mushroom and its soup, they all developed abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhea 11 hours later, Their liver enzymes reached peak level between 48 and 72 hours after the ingestion. Among the family members, 5-year-old girl showed the most severe hepatic toxicity of AST/ALT 14,099/13,176 IU/L. They were all treated with supportive measures including repeated activated charcoal and penicillin G and recovered from the hepatotoxicity between 7 and 28 days after the ingestion. Being based on the shape and a typical course of the amatoxin poisoning, we presume that this wild mushroom belongs to Amanita virosa.

Related articles

JKSCT : Journal of The Korean Society of Clinical Toxicology